Sunday, June 21, 2009

The March of Technology

Wow! I am playing 'Catchup' like crazy.
Of course I do computer programming for a living, so I have never been far from what is happening on the Web, but C++ (my language of choice and expertise) is not close to the languages used on the Web.
What has changed more than anything is the quality of the presentation. My web-sites of 10 years ago that look like newsprint compared to the glossy magazine sites of today.
I loaded some of my original work and shuddered when I saw it on the screen, but it was not so much the appearance that astonished me, but it was the speed of my old websites - they simply flashed up onto the screen, almost instantaneously.
So the great looks has come at a cost. I am confident that once this old dog learns the new tricks I will have something to share with my younger colleagues.
Performance is not the only sacrifice with the new technology, but the tools that are necessary to produce the magazine glossy pages are not cheap. Thankfully they are easy to use and learn.

No comments: